Perform the complete historical restoration of the cemetery facility, created as a national shrine to honor America’s war veterans which had fallen into disrepair. Site elements included the 1889 Civil War Obelisk and the underground storage vault.
The scope of work included the evaluation of all site elements. The Civil War Obelisk was completely disassembled, the pieces numbered, the deteriorated material removed, and the entire structure rebuilt in a way that would promote ventilation of the interior of the structure. The site was regraded and new cannon balls were erected at the corners to match the original site design. The underground storage vault was completely excavated, the exterior waterproofed, and new drainage provided to eliminate water pressure and deterioration of the structure. The entire site was redesigned to address wet conditions, shedding water to low areas on the site and providing a new drainage base with over 18” of crushed stone and miles of perforated piping. Head stones were lifted and straightened after being set on precast concrete block bases. New site lighting was provided at the flag poles.